Friday, October 15, 2010

Did You MEAN to Raise a Sexually Active Teen?

It's here! Everything I've learned about how teens think, and how to help them make good decisions about sex are in a new book called Did You MEAN to Raise a Sexually Active Teen?

I can't tell you how to get them to do their homework, but I can tell you how they think, and how you can become their BEST SOURCE of information about sex, love and relationships. The dangers young people face are very real and sometimes leave permanent scars. And what most adults do instinctively -- DOESN'T WORK!!

I've seen the results of the Sleeping Beauty Method, where well-meaning parents try to cocoon their child in hopes of keeping out any sexual thought until they graduate from college. I've heard the arguments for Lowering the Bar to some standard that can be applied to just about anything (wait til you're "ready", for cryin' out loud.) And I've seen how desperate parents are to change their teen's behavior with information... but information doesn't change behavior.

This book is not JUST for girls and it's not written in Christianese. It's full of my practical and humorous tips that you can put to use immediately, and see results immediately. If you are a parent, a grandparent, a pastor, a teacher, a youth leader or just concerned about kids --- this will help you make the case for sexual self-control.

And I truly hope you will!

3 comments:

Elaine said...

Karen,
Thank you for all of this. I will read more later. Question: HOW did you get into the public schools to talk? It's something I'm interested in doing also.
Elaine Mills

gladiw8d said...

Elaine, its much harder now than when I started in 1998. There is a more concentrated effort to avoid actually telling teens there are risks to being sexually active -- ones which have no protection. But, we started with an essay contest. Any school who let us offer presentations could participate. First prize was $1000 that could be used for anything EXCEPT condom distribution. Three winners were chosen for each grade level to receive cash prizes.

Dr. Laura Schlessinger chose the winners. We got invitations to 14 schools and ended up with about 1200 essays.

Once they heard our positive message, the schools invited us back and it grew from there... teacher to teacher.

Chana Keefer said...

Dear Karen,

I just finished both your books and have asked my 18-yr-old son to read them before he gets into another exclusive dating relationship.

I have also sent an email to our student ministries pastor at Real Life Church and will bug them until they invite you. Our society NEEDS your voice to be heard!

Hugs,

Chana Keefer

p.s. I want to train with you more and do whatever I can to help :)